ALCos of the Pilbara Historical Society

The Pilbara Historical Society preserves a lot of rolling material from the ore rich Pilbara region, among them a steamer and EMD products (just to be complete but not of interest here...). All shots were taken at the historical depot at Dampier.

The oldest ALCo around is former Spokane, Portland & Seattle S2 #21, which was acquired in 1965 by Hamersley Iron. It was built in September 1940 and was an ALCo demonstrator! Its first HI number was 004, then changed to 007.

GTSA photo, 1999

Another interesting engine is C-415 #1000, also of HI heritage. Built in March 1965 as a demonstrator, too, is it now in in working order again. Road numbers were 008, 1 and at last 1000. The rare C-415 was acquired by HI in 1968.

GTSA photo, 1999

Totally gone in the USA, this C-628 is preserved in Australia. The 2000's later number was 2003. The five HI units were bought new and retired in 1982.

GTSA photo, 1999

A close-up view of the famous C-628 profile.

GTSA photo, 1999

3017 was built as a C-636 by Goodwin, Australia. Notice the Hi-ad trucks. The unit was later rebuilt to a M-636R by Comeng, receiving the "Pilbara cab".

GTSA photo, 1999

BHP Iron 5502 is a M-636, built by Comeng. Note the different fuel tank. Looks more EMD than the typical Century tank.

GTSA photo, 1999


Back to Australia page
Back to homepage
Last update 12.04.99