South Australian Railways

Note: the South Australian section of Australian National Railways (formerly the South Australian Railways) is now owned by the Australia Southern Railroad, a consortium, part of which is Genessee & Wyoming from the USA. The AN Tasmania division was purchased by Wisconsin Central/Tranzrail. [thanks for Brad Peadon for that update]

600 class

builder / type Goodwin DL541
First unit in service April 1965
number in service 7
road numbers 601 - 607 (607 formerly 600)
engine / horsepower 12-251 / 1800 HP
wheel arrangement Co-Co

Notes: 601, 604-606 converted to slugs or "Traction Booster Units" and re#ed BU1 - 4.

Phil Wormald photo

700 class

builder / type Goodwin DL500G
First unit in service June 1971
number in service 6
road numbers 701 - 706 (706 formerly 700)
engine / horsepower 12-251 / 2000 HP
wheel arrangement Co-Co

Notes: # 702 retired after fire damage.

830 class

builder / type Goodwin DL531
First unit in service December 1959
number in service 45
road numbers 831 - 875
engine / horsepower 6-251 / 900 or 950 HP
wheel arrangement Co-Co

Notes:
832, 835, 836, 839, 849, 875 were rebuilt for single-person operation, got short hood chopped and were re#ed DA1 -6.
856, 857, 862, 864 sold to Silverton Tramway. 856 and 862 were stripped for parts and scrapped thereafter.
866 is preserved in Tasmania.
874 is former Silverton 27.
875 was formerly 830.

930 class

Australian National 963, along with a DL531 at Balakava, SA in 1993.

Nick Chase photo
builder / type Goodwin DL500B
First unit in service December 1955
number in service 36
road numbers 931 - 967
engine / horsepower 12-251 / 1600 HP
wheel arrangement Co-Co

Notes: 931 - 935, 967 (former 930) single ended. Latter unit preserved at Port Dock museum. 958 and 963 preserved by Australian Railway Historical society, 958 in working order.

AN 956 with a freight train

Ronald Krueger photo
"The Explorer", AN 961 at Dry Creek, SA, 1993

Nick Chase photo.


Back
Last update 16.02.99